Snapmatic Winners and More: The GTA Online Flight School Event Recap
| Author: R* Q
Check out this GTA Online Flight School Event Session video we posted to YouTube earlier today, featuring the "Crosswind" and "GTA: Airheads" Jobs, played here with community members Karpeh, Smoowv, RadicalSpirit and AlexSniperBullet.
Intrepid pilots and Coquette sportifs took to the skies and roadways during the recent San Andreas Flight School Event, soaking up the Event Playlist Double GTA$ and RP and reaping all the other in-game rewards while they lasted. Read on for an Event recap highlighting some of the standout videos posted of the weekend action, plus the official #FLIGHTSCHOOL Snapmatic contest selections, winners of the gear giveaway and more.
As is tradition, the Event officially started with the official Event livestream hosted by Lazlow and the Rockstar Broadcast team (ICYMI: full stream archive). After warming up in a GTA community lobby playing through some of the new Flight School Jobs alongside Karpeh, Smoowv, RadicalSpirit and AlexSniperBullet – we got on to the main event: Rockstar versus Little & Cubed.
Nerdcubed's official YouTube video from the Rockstar VS Little & Cubed 2v2 Flight School battle.
We’ve been fans of Little & Cubed for quite a while now, loving the inventive and super fun 1v1 challenges that Dan NerdCubed whips up with the Creator tool and challenges his sparring partner Martyn Littlewood to. Considering the classic flight oriented ones they’ve done in the past (“Dump Jump!”, “Capture the Case”), we had a feeling that given the challenge of putting together some 2v2 Jobs with the new aviation toys from the Flight School Update – some serious madness could be afoot. Little & Cubed did not disappoint. In just about two days flat, Dan NerdCubed cooked up some devilishly fun 2v2s to challenge us with. Watch “Crossjoust” and “Game of Thrills II” above – the first in a new ongoing series of GTA Online Sessions videos we’re going to be posting regularly to the Rockstar YouTube channel (make sure you’re subscribed there so that you don’t miss a one) – and below is a list and description of all 8 original Nerdcubed Flight School Jobs so that you can bookmark and play them yourself with 3 of your best frienemies. Please note that as Dan N3 is a PS3 guy, his Jobs are currently only available to play on that platform, however they’re brilliant in their simplicity of construction so industrious Xbox 360 players should be able to easily re-create them using the Creator Tool as well (give a shout in comments if you’ve got a variation on XBL that the community should check out):
- “Crossjoust” – The Los Santos downtown financial district has been closed down to accommodate a 4-way intersection ‘crossjoust’ with opposing ramps, SMGs and Coquette Classics. ‘Backs to the wall. 3… 2… 1… Mayhem.’ Best played with headsets or via Skype so that one player can lead the synchronized jousting countdown.
- “Game of Thrills II” – A modified Capture where one drop wins it all. Take off in P-996s and fly to the military base to try and steal and pilot the coveted Miljet FTW. Players spawn at the mid-way point and can either defend or capture; Dan’s TLDR: ‘Steal plane. Shoot other planes’.
- “CanyonAero” – Jets versus Coquettes in a classic bit of cat and mouse. One team races down Raton Canyon in the Coquette Classic, the other team uses jets to try and blow them up on route. Switch roles at the 5 minute mark to let the hunter become the hunted.
- “Any Landing You Walk From” – Take turns trying to land the Besra down the Sandy Shores Airfield runway between perfectly arranged fuel tanks without blowing them up. Clip the tank and she’s gonna go boom.
- “Big Bridge. Big Plane” – A Race where you must thread the needle of the La Puerta Freeway Bridge to and fro in the massive MilJet – and the first checkpoint’s “a bit of a doozy.”
- “To Infinity” – Besras weave around the Los Santos skyscrapers in a super tight Air Race to test your ace piloting skills.
- “Plane Sailing” – Stealing a Besra from the military and delivering it to a nearby drop point… is more difficult than one would think.
- “Chill Lad” – The Coquette Classic is probably not the ideal vehicle for climbing and descending Mount Chiliad. Find out why – the hard way – in this Land Race.
Wickedly good fun, huge thanks to Dan and Martyn for putting these Jobs together and joining us on the livestream – and to see more footage of us playing these 2v2s with Little & Cubed make sure you sub to Rockstar Games, Official NerdCubed, and InTheLittleWood on YouTube. Below is Martyn's latest video from the 2v2 battle just posted yesterday showing his perspective during “Plane Sailing” – watch parts 1, 2 and 3 showing other Jobs listed above at his channel as well:
And now without further ado – here are the winners of the #FlightSchool Snapmatic contest, which include a trio of stylish shots featuring the new Besra, an historical homage and a salute to explosive special effects.
The profilic AlexSniperBullet brings us this tribute to legendary female aviator Amelia Earhart. Congrats to Alex for his very first winning photo entry after being the bridesmaid in several honorable mentions in past Events.
A stunning sun-drenched shot of the new Besra and both variations of the Invetero Coquette Classic, compliments of returning champion ZazDillinger.
A pilot makes a pit stop at a roadside fruit stand in the clever "Flight School Lunch Break" by Rita_Skybabe.
Cue "epic walking away from massive explosion"... and, action! From fktnk_95
sicaro12 gives the Besra's undercarriage a quick spritz, thanks to some low level flying at Cassidy Creek.
And by popular demand, here’s just a few honorable mentions that caught our eye as well:
• ‘Flight School’ looks as if lulaman300 snapped it directly from the trailer, great composition and use of the Meme Creator tool.
• Flight School Lesson #3 – ‘that big red button is NOT a turbo boost’. By Nemosphene.
• Calling for an impeccably outfitted Flight Suit, positioned vehicles, and two perfectly timed jets overhead are a couple spot-on Flight School artwork recreations by McGoooo420 and SilverFox1.
• Coquette pr0n – two gorgeous shots by chocolate_001 that look Invetero sponsorship-worthy
• “My first lesson in Flight School be like” – by Kralikus
• Giving new meaning to ‘striking a runway pose’ - damn near a full lobby from Spain’s 3DJU were put to work in this epic LSIA Flight Crew selfie by caskillo. Also watch the making-of on YouTube.
Congratulations are also in order to the 20 winners of the Event Weekend Gear Giveaway who all scored Deluxe Prize Packs with a wardrobe of Rockstar and GTAV official t-shirts including the Republican Space Rangers Tee, Trevor Philips Industries Tee, Epsilon Program KIFFLOM! Tee and more. Winners we've already confirmed include Versus_Graphic, Checo---366, Aro247, visual619, Reclaimer_VII, ActaNonVerbaNL, MrLiteraLOL, 32RuGGedTalk2Yuh, BIGFOOTSPENE, jsmith3000, huragok007, webby1990, and UnboundSpirit.
Also keep your eyes peeled for the winners of the #FlightSchool Air Race Creator Contest to be announced in an upcoming edition of Rockstar Verified Jobs; we’re actively reviewing and playing entries as we speak. Look forward to that as well as news on forthcoming GTA Online updates in the weeks ahead.